Tom Yates created a vacancy on the ICCSD School Board when he resigned on Friday, May 13, 2016. The District has posted notice of the vacancy and a vacancy timeline, which includes important dates for filling the vacancy by appointment or special election.
[Appointment process information moved to the end of the post.]
UPDATE: The vacancy will be filled by special election to be held Tuesday, July 19th.
Due to the short time frame for a special election, I am setting up this post to use as a collection point for information about the
possible July 2016 school board special election. I will continue to add information here as it becomes available. If you see that I have missed something, as surely I will, please suggest additional links in the comments or by Twitter.
Follow @jcauditor on Twitter for updates throughout election day. Turnout by precinct will be posted here for turnout through 9 am, 11 am, 3 pm, and 6 pm. Results will be posted here starting after polls close at 8 pm on election day, as returns are become available. Preliminary results in spreadsheet form are here.
- As of the end of early voting–Monday, July 18th–the Johnson County Auditor reports 1,457 ballots requested, 1,391 returned. If you still have yours, return it to the Auditor’s Office tomorrow; it’s too late to get it postmarked. There were 737 absentee ballots cast in the September 8, 2015 regular school board election, with a total of 7,297 voters (10.5% voter turnout).
- 9 am voter turnout, at 389, down approximately 250 from ICCSD regular school board election in September 2015. [0.58% of registered voters have voted so far this morning.]
- 11 am voter turnout, at 935, down approximately 350 from ICCSD regular school board election in September 2015. [1.40% of registered voters have voted so far this morning.]
- 3 pm voter turnout, at 1999, down approximately 900 from ICCSD regular school board election in September 2015. [3 % of registered voters have voted so far today. IC08 (Helen Lemme) has a 7.26 % voter turnout so far today, with other precincts turnout between 1.48 % at IC06 (Mark Twain) to 4.08 % at IC09 (Hills).]
- 6 pm voter turnout, at 3318, down approximately 1700 votes from the ICCSD regular school board election in September 2015. [4.98 % of registered voters have voted so far today.]
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS: Paul Roesler is the new school board member. 8.64% of registered voters turned out to cast votes in this election, falling short of the 10.5% turnout in the regular school board election in September 2015. Claussen picked up two additional votes when the Absentee Board considered provisional ballots on Thursday. These votes are reflected in updated numbers below (numbers that changed since Tuesday in red):
Results will be official with the canvass on Tuesday, July 26th. John Deeth crunches the numbers here.