Chris Liebig is still on the ICCSD school board, so I’ve agreed to host a one-stop shopping election post again this year. Candidate filing won’t begin until Monday, July 10th and won’t end until Thursday, August 3rd at 5 pm. However, with the ballot issue language set, and with information presentations about it and advocacy to pass it already underway, it makes sense to get this post up and running sooner rather than later.
I will be using this post as a collection point for information about the 2017 ICCSD regular school election scheduled for Tuesday, September 12th. I will continue to add information here as it becomes available. If you see that I have missed something, as surely I will, please suggest additional links in the comments, by e-mail, or by Twitter.
Three four-year school board seats are up for election. There will also be a general obligation bond (GO bond) ballot issue, intended to fund the remaining projects on the district’s ten-year facilities master plan (FMP), which was last updated in January of this year. There is also an effort underway to petition for a ballot question related to demolition of the Hoover Elementary School building (see new section added below for more information).
Candidate Statements and Profiles
- JP Claussen: News coverage here; Gazette profile, P-C profile
- Shawn Eyestone: News coverage here; Gazette profile, P-C profile
- Janet Godwin: News coverage here; Gazette profile, P-C profile
- Ruthina Malone: News coverage here; Gazette profile, P-C profile
Campaign Websites, Social Media, and Campaign Reports
Campaign reports filed with the Iowa Ethics & Campaign Disclosure Board may include a short form attribution filing (DR-SFA) or a DR-1 Statement of Organization. Candidates who exceed $1,000 in donations, expenditures, or debt must file a DR-1 Statement of Organization (candidate’s committee) and a DR-2 Disclosure Summary Page, with attached reports, will be due five days prior to the election, and January 19, 2018.
- JP Claussen: Facebook page, website, DR-1, DR-2 (1/17)
- Shawn Eyestone: Facebook page, website, Twitter
- Janet Godwin: DR-1
- Ruthina Malone: Facebook page, website, Twitter, DR-1
Debates and Candidate Forums
GO BOND BALLOT ISSUE
Shall the Board of Directors of the Iowa City Community School District in the County of Johnson, State of Iowa, be authorized to contract indebtedness and issue General Obligation Bonds in an amount not to exceed $191,525,000 to provide funds to address health, safety, and accessibility issues in all school buildings, including air conditioning all school buildings, reducing the use of temporary classroom structures in the District, addressing classroom, lunchroom, and gymnasium overcrowding, and dedicating rooms to art, music, prekindergarten, and science by constructing, furnishing and equipping a new building, constructing additions to and/or remodeling, repairing, and improving the school buildings remaining in the District’s Facilities Master Plan, as follows: Mann and Lincoln renovations, Liberty High athletic facilities construction and site improvements, new elementary school construction in North Liberty and site improvements, West High renovation, South East and North Central Junior High additions, Shimek renovation, City High addition and upgrades, Wood addition, Wickham upgrades, Garner and Northwest additions, Liberty High addition, Horn renovation, Kirkwood addition, Borlaug, Alexander, and Lemme additions, and Tate High addition and upgrades?
- ICCSD District website GO bond page and Facilities Master Plan page
- ICCSD Bond and FMP Information Page (Facebook) [not affiliated with the district]
POTENTIAL HOOVER ELEMENTARY BALLOT QUESTION
Save Hoover Elementary is collecting signatures to petition to have the following language included on the ballot for the September 12th school election:
Shall the Iowa City Community School District in the County of Johnson, State of Iowa, demolish the building known as Hoover Elementary School, located at 2200 East Court Street in Iowa City, after the completion of the 2018-19 school year, with the proceeds of any resulting salvage to be applied as specified in Iowa Code section 297.22(b)?
- Q & A about the Hoover ballot question
- Ten reasons Hoover should stay open
- Save Hoover Committee: DR-1 (5/17)
Articles and posts substantively discussing the school board election. See Candidate Statements and Profiles for articles about individual candidates announcing campaigns, candidate profiles, and candidate statements.
- Two big bond votes are coming this fall. Here’s what you need to know. (4/21)
- Group urges voters to pass Iowa City bond referendum (4/26)
- Iowa City group launches campaign to support $191.5 million bond (5/2)
- Committee seeks ‘yes’ votes on Iowa City schools’ bond issue (5/2)
- District Pushes School Bond to Fix Facilities (5/3)
- Press-Citizen’s Letters to the Editor page (letters in support of candidates will appear here)
- The Gazette’s Letters to the Editor page (letters in support of candidates will appear here)
- Chris Lynch: Your vote can help support public education (3/1)
- Greg Geerdes: School bond issue deserves more thought (3/8)
- Chris Lynch: Iowa City school bond supports public education (3/15)
- Adam Sullivan: Iowa City school bond proposal mixes urgent with unknowns (4/28)
- Chris Liebig: A response to Jeff McGinness (includes JM’s comments) (4/29)
- Chris Liebig: “Something for everyone” (5/6)
- Chris Liebig: Why I don’t support the bond proposal (short version) (5/8)
- Michael Tilley: Background for the 2017 ICCSD G.O. Bond (5/9)
- Chris Liebig: What will go on the Hoover property (5/10)
- Rod Sullivan and Tom Yates: Head-to-head on the ICCSD bond referendum (5/16)